Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Glen

"I've heard the term Awe inspiring all my life," I whispered."This is what they were talking about!"

Everywhere I looked there was beauty. The high mountain stream danced through the meadow it sung a melody I could not quite make out. I knew angels could sing along. The creek danced over rocks and into pools teaming with brook trout. Small water falls came from high in the mountain and formed into sprays while it made other small water falls. Once more it wove it way through the high meadow.

Trees were beginning to narrow the glen growing deeper and deeper into the meadow. I wanted to dance beside the waters edge. I wanted to sing along while meandering through the meadow filled with lupine, Indian paint brush and vetch. I wanted to eat of the huge Berries hanging from the brush. They seemed to hang there by a magical hand. The air was filled with perfume. The magical had seemed to of hung them for the many many birds who sung only for us.


We ambled quietly along on foot deeper and deeper into the meadow. Jack took my hand in his while we crossed the creek on moss covered rocks. I left my small hand in his large strong fingers. He held it long after we were safe and I was content to leave my hand in his. We followed a very old track past a "down in the heals" looking old shack, hidden deep in the glen...We were drawn deeper and deeper into a valley with a view Even God
would be proud to call his own! He was near by. I could feel his presence in the air we
breathed and the dancing of the waters.


We were alone here, we were safe. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel "safe," I'd not felt safe since I was a small child. Even my sense of smell was heightened. I could smell the cedar, the pine. My nostrils flared at the smell of the dust in the high mountains. I could hear the buzzing of the insects, bees, fly and butterflies danced through the clear air. I could feel my hand in his,somehow I knew he would go no further than I would allow. I was like the doe...

I could feel rather than see the timid step in the deep mulch of the forest. She could be seen testing the air before she walked into the open of the glen...

Jack and I
stood stark still while she sniffed the air and nibbled on the buck brush that sprouted all about her. A fawn stepped on wobbling new legs. She too, was timid and afraid but slowly followed her Mama, into the glen. She was a new born babe, I believe from this day to this we witnessed her first meal when we saw her stretch her tiny neck to nurse at her mother's breast, while her Mama grazed calmly, unafraid of those wild things that could be hidden in the deep forest.

I could barely speak, the beauty held us in thrall. The doe and her fawn were a gift
we were not expecting. The whole scene was something I would have never dreamed.


An osprey soared and danced on the wind over the shining waters of the deep blue lake I could see in the distance...At times the osprey was a speck high in the clear blue sky. We could hear it
calling to it's mate.


I sat on the ground like a child. For the first time in many many years I knew I was home. Twin Rivers was going to be my home for life. I never wished to be any where else. I knew little of this man I was with. I knew he worked hard, he was a lumber man and it was all hard work. I knew he was only home on week ends. I knew he had a big heart,and an open smile. No where in MY world had anyone ever given me a gift of friendship, without asking something of me in return. It was normally more than I wished to give.


I watched the doe and her fawn feed quietly in the edge of the glen, and the birds do the
dance they had performed for a million years. I watched the man out of the corner of my eye. He was openly watching me....And still he was silent. There seemed to be nothing more on his mind than the beauty before us and the time we had together...
Yes! I was in Awe.....

No comments:

Post a Comment